Friday, March 30, 2007

Taking a break from the grim and the grime.

This may seem odd to some of you, but when I get stressed out from essay writing, studying, reading (when and if those htings ever actually take place), I promised myself just a few hundred more words, then I can take a break and turn to reading a little Mark Steyn.

If you know Mark Steyn you probably already dislike him. A political writer (primarily), Steyn is one of the foremost commentators on politics in the Anglosphere, and well-recognized as one of the most influencial...ahem...conservative writers at the moment.

Yes yes, I read right-wing politics. The Right is generally where my political interests tend to lie (as though most of you didn't know that already). This certainly isn't by choice; God knows nobody wants to be labelled a right-winger when you're a university student studying a humanities course. "The Right" just happens to be the title that best suits how I've developed in terms of my morals.

But Steyn's witing holds a special attraction for me in that it is so damn GOOD. And once in a while, he writes a scathing, perfectly articulated film review, Broadway critique, or, as he does every week, the history behind an old musical standard (by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sintra, Comden and Green, Rogers and Hammerstein, etc etc). These articles are such a joy to read that they are usually my break from my own sad attempts at eloquence in prose.

So, if one is able to put aside that Steyn is constantly labelled a Canadian Warmonger (a title he loves, actually) then you may enjoy as few of his articles on music. Look for his film reviews too. And should you be so inclined, his political insight is almost painfully sharp.

Cheers. (here's this week's)

No comments: